« Home | TV is stale » | Queen of Comedy » | fresh off the dashboard... » | How it is to lose » | Heroes » | Seeing Stars -- what's up with Star Wars mania? » | Smokin' Pissed » | To Live is an overrated concept » | Look, Christians are not boring » | admin: comments available » 

Saturday, June 11, 2005 

Blogging Nausea

People are probably already sick about posts on blogging, but I was so irked lately I can't help but let a little bit of angst and frustration go by ranting a little on my blog. After all that's what I do best-- launching into bitter tirades.

"I won't change my stand that many Singapore blogs are bad. I repeat (for the hundredth and ninty nine time maybe), I am aware that I could be including MY own blog in "Singapore blogging is bad". But like I've told the 500,00,998 people who enquired, whether my blog is good or not is up to them to decide and I couldn't give two figs in the meantime. So stop telling me that I'm setting a trap which I'm falling into myself, yes?" -- ms. beautifuk, October 2004

I concur. Most local blogs out there suck. I put the rough estimate at about 80% of all local blogs. Again, I say, mine may be included. Still, there are always some good ones that do stand out. Those rare gems aren't that difficult to find actually, a couple of them are already listed on my Top-class reads section.

I had been in intensive blog-surfing mode for the past week, while I was on blogging hiatus, relentlessly trying to hunt down the obscure good blog out there. Naturally, I was more disappointed than I was delighted, because most of the links that I derived from some big name blogs turned out to be total shit.

I first started writing on this blog with an invitation from Raymond, and though I admit I always had a stereotype of bloggers being losers with sad lives, I've learnt to see them in a new light, and also to stop stigmatizing them. Hell, I can't be stigmatizing them when I'm part of the flock now right?

This might not be news to anyone, but the climate of the blogosphere has changed so drastically and rapidly in recent months that I'm left gasping for air. There are certain good changes: the sudden resurgence of political blogs are certainly welcome. Also, people are realizing how silly it is to be moulding their blog in the form of an online diary where they go on into great detail about what they ate, where the went, the shape of the shit, and other inane details which people read only to mock at. Oh, and unless you're a beauty to the scale of Cleopatra, please do not attempt to post up tons and tons of hideous pictures of yourself on your blogs. Yes, a few will suffice. Putting up tons of pictures of your friends, the food you ate, the clothes you fancy (which I think is rather trashy most of the time) and silly goofy pictures. If you really had to, you could have at least start up another photo log so you give readers that option. Not all readers are that shallow you know.

Irony is, despite msot bloggers being acutely aware of the fact that blogs which are moulded to be purely online diaries are just a tad boring and annoying, there seems a resurgence of such blogs. Perhaps its a resistance, people are thinking "you can't criticize me because I don't give a shit to what my blog turns out to be and I want to rebel and go against popular thought and make my blog exactly like a garbage bin full of trashy stuff inside". Well, in a way I guess they are right.

It's past 1 am and I can't think properly, let alone structuring this post coherently. I think I'll end this post quick.

I think bloggers don't celebrate intelligence enough. It's always more important to add that sheen of gloss to a blog to attract readers rather than actually write solid content. It doesn't always have to be great, long ( read: boring) essays in general, but it can be actually witty-funny and not cheap-retarded-funny.

Argh forget it. This post is so cliched. Hasn't everybody at one point or another ranted about the dismal state of the blogosphere before? This is ground everyone has tread on before. So I shall not elaborate.

Thanks for putting up with my ranting.

"....which is why style always trumps substance rather than the contrary. intelligence can only be appreciated by other intellectuals, who make up only a minority of the population. To win over the masses, you have to appeal to their mediocrity or apathy. Give them what they want and not what you know is right, and you're on your way." --- Redrown

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates