« Home | Queen of Comedy » | fresh off the dashboard... » | How it is to lose » | Heroes » | Seeing Stars -- what's up with Star Wars mania? » | Smokin' Pissed » | To Live is an overrated concept » | Look, Christians are not boring » | admin: comments available » | Crushing defeat » 

Thursday, June 09, 2005 

TV is stale

Today I got home and managed to catch Boston Legal on Channel 5 just in time.

It was helmed by acclaimed director/producer David E. Kelley, who also gave us hits like The Practice, Ally McBeal, and Boston Public. I call him the legal drama guru, though Bostom Public is an exception.

Boston Legal did nothing for me. The usual premise, several archetypal lawyer types (though there are 1 or 2 rather unique, well written characters) and several thorny issues raised up to pique our interest and keep us glued to our screen. The show didn't do much for me. I mean, been there, done that, legal shows have inundated our television screen for the past couple of years, what can possibly be new to us discerning viewers. We see the same plots being played around in different ways. It's just all way stale.

With the passing of several great shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Boston Public, I'm almost convinced that really good, solid shows with substance will never ever really reign in at the top of the ratings table. After all, society is filled with legions of airheads who would anytime prefer watching a television show about some fake millionaire, or some perpetually angsty, confused teenagers worry about who's sleeping with their boyfriends/girlfriends.

Just last week, I caught a full episode of Boston Public, the television programme highlighting the issues and problems teachers face, at the same time letting us take a peek into their somewhat enigmatic lifestyles. What they do out of the classroom is always elusive to us, but through the show I've really grown to empathize and relate with them on a greater level. Imagine the euphoria I experienced at the end of the show, having known I haven't wasted 1 hour of my life watching some vacuous trash. I think even that 1 episode really did impact me. And wow, I just love the dialogue.

I went on to the internet to check up the show, to do a a brief read-up on the various characters, since I barely ever watch the show. To my utter dismay, I found out the series got cancelled towards the middle of season 4. I was left disappointed, but more than that, upset.

It's disgusting how producers/creators of television shows are so preoccupied with viewership that they can discard their integrity (if they have any) and produce some total shit with zero value whatsoever to rake in the viewers. They are so caught up in the ratings game, all else become secondary to them: their passion to connect through art, to send messages out to society and generally at least to influence, or simply to touch some of the viewers out there.

The quality of television programmes is deteriorating so rapidly, I'm afraid the cognitive ability of its viewers are also declining proportionately. Seriously, I'm often left in doubt as to why people can enjoy watching a bunch of babes bitch incessantly and fight it out for the heart of a guy, when all they are winning in the end of the show is the chance to get laid with him. I mean, really, when a guy is all successful, does he really need a show to help him find a suitor? He doesn't even have to search, flocks of women would have already thrown themselves at him already. And why would people prefer to watch a pathetically unrealistic show about 4 desperate housewives with sad love lives over a true quality show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

I'm left very deluded as to the state of television and its viewers. I have lots more to write, but I think its pointless to carry on elucidating all my thoughts and dismay on the matter. Right now, I'll stick to the remaning episodes of Boston Public, Joey, Nip/Tuck, tennis matches and EPL matches.

At least LOST is premiering today. Let's hope it'll not turn out to be a big flop.

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates