« Home | Do You Have a Long Middle Leg? » | To forgive is to Forget. » | Why I Sometimes Prefer to just Shut Up » | Because Escape is Not an Option » | Audio Blog? » | "Piracy is not killing music- stupidity is!" » | GOAL! and buy the VCD instead.... » | Did I See You In A Limousine, Fling Out The Fish a... » | HTML Nut » | Awesome » 

Monday, November 07, 2005 

I'm a Geek and Proud Of It

It's no hidden fact that I am a geek. You can throw me 2 options : either to go clubbing with friends or stay home playing Warcraft 3 or reading the papers - and it's no mystery which I will choose. (Certainly, that didn't prove much of a difficult choice, considering I never really liked clubbing.)

Certainly, I don't look like a geek. Well I'm not well endowed with the features of a Greek god, but that certainly doesn't make me a Austin Powers too.

Most people do not realize I'm a geek because they seldom see through the facade I put on and neither do they really bother getting to know me on a deeper level. I guess one sign you know that you know me a little better than the rest is that if you know i like reading, or if I openly admit that i'm a nerd at heart. :P

but for any of my friends out there, or blogders-who-will-become-friends eventually, it's no big cause for concern. Let's say I'm not a pure-blood geek? In fact, I'm quite an ambivalent one to boot. I attend lots of concerts, hang out quite a lot with my friends, and I'm not out-of-touch and disengaged from the world as to commit atrocious fashion faux pas, like going out in with shirts buttoned to the collars and tucked into my pants or jeans. there's no reason to alienate me.

Because I'm a perfectly normal human - and thank God most of my friends realize that, despite my unusually high tendencies to start discussing about psychological, sociological and political issues. If I see that you're of the like mind as mine, its inevitable our conversations will naturally gravitate towards something of a more intellectual or deeper nature. Be it politics, philosophy, Buffy! or God, i love having a good conversation with people.

Exalting myself by showing off knowledge isn't really my thing though, that's why I don't go around talking about all these 'cheem' things all the time. In fact, though I love talking about such things, as I said, I'll only do it if you're of a similar mind who appreciates things like this. And it's nothing wrong not to, because everyone has different interests. Don't expect me to talk about Bertrand Russell's mumbo jumbo essays to a person whose daily cognitive activity is restricted to obsessing over the beauty of Thierry Henry's goal.

So yeah, I love playing computer games, blogging, spending the precious days of my lives on the internet. I love reading, the newspapers, or fiction, or Time magazine or the Bible.

And however potentially hazardous to my perception of self identity, I also enjoy very non-geeky (stereotypically speaking) activities like occasionally going for concerts, trawling the streets with my friends for good buys, body combat classes and football matches with my family.

I don't do much beer-guzzling, or pubbing, clubbing or partying, not because I think it's a waste of time (which i do, but so is playing computer games, right?), but rather because it's just not something I'm very inclined to do anyway. But it's not like I think it makes me less 'happening' because you know what? I think geeks are way freaking cool.

I am a geek and I absolutely love it.

I tend to be pretty quiet most of the time too for my interests only collide with a handful of people around me. And guess what? I am most uncomfortable in all-female company because I am so not into the things that they dedicate their whole life to. Often have I been told that I am 'dao' or aloof, not knowing that I just don't wish to be bored by them nor bore them.
BTW, club or not does not make one more cool or less so. Once I am done with the many hen's parties, I hope I never have to club again. Damagingly meaningless.

I am not a geek also. I got watch hentai(only a bit). And do a lot of non geek stuff which I'll remember after I wake up. Oh ya, I keep a hamster. That's non geeky.

I'm not really of a clubbing person too, so I'd gladly pick Warcraft 3 anytime. =)

Haha...just realised that we share more or less the same kinda hobbies. Hey, if you're a geek then I'm a super geek to even try to write a 50,000 words novel in one month!

sembler: haha... i know. I honestly think from reading your blog you're one of those who prefers to live life to the max, and you have a thing for adventure. many of your peers obviously don't have that... I guess its just the way we are made.

suspiciousbastard: what hentai you watch? bibleblack ar? erm. ok I don't really watch already. lol. I know about your evil hamster. you funny guy you. Hey, I go to cafes to check out chicks too! that's really uber-hip too. :D

zenith: yup! I could just stay home for the entire saturday just playing Warcraft 3!

Twit: yeah I know you're one of those geek/clubber ones. its hard to maintain that intricate balance i must say. then again, I guess its stereotypical of me to assume geeks can't go clubbing.

beng: I'm way too behind time! There's no way I'll complete it in time. I've read yours and seen your progress. Keep pressing on!

They have the fashion police in the dazzling world of the glitterati and showbiz, thank God there's no geek police here on the blogosphere!

Post a Comment

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates