« Home | "Piracy is not killing music- stupidity is!" » | GOAL! and buy the VCD instead.... » | Did I See You In A Limousine, Fling Out The Fish a... » | HTML Nut » | Awesome » | Butter Scones, Passion Tea, Battlefield 2 and Deat... » | The Special Moments » | Changing The World » | Keep Your Lousy Comments To Yourselves, Kids » | The One About My Movie Experience » 

Sunday, October 16, 2005 

Audio Blog?

Recently, Lancerlord posted on Tomorrow his discovery of some new online program/applet/whatchamacallitthing that allows you to listen to a post. Yes, that's right peeps, the program/applet/whatever actually gives the reader an option to listen to a blog post entirely in audio, if the blog owner decides to integrate that program into his blog. (they call this embedding right?)

I think this program sucks.

(Lancerlord, if you reading, you generally posts great links, this is just one of the rare few horrendous discoveries...)

Some blogs tend to be filled with highly emotional posts and replete with great feelings of intensity. Even via reading about a person's feelings online, a lot of that intensity and rawness have been filtered out.

Now, they come out with this thing that reads posts out with an absolutely monotonous, robotic voice. It sounds horrible and dull -- and the first time I actually tried it out and listened to the voice, I vaguely recalled nightmares of eternal hell in Mr Young's horrendously boring literature classes.

Someone please enlighten me why in the blue moon would anyone want to use such a program anyway?

Even the thought of the apocalypse doesn't seem so bleak now compared to the increasing popularity of this Talkr program thing.

I've only come across it in miyagi.sg, and I think it's quite hilarious. I laughed really loudly the first time I played one of his posts. ;) Try listening to a post with lots of Singlish.

Laughs aside, I think it's a big plus for the visually-impaired? At least, that was my first thought. :) Well, without the Singlish anyway.

Yeh, I think it's more for the visually-impaired people too.

If not, I guess podcasts are better. At least the original writers (talkers) can say it with emotion :)

Eh, it was in tomorrow meh? I post stuff not neccessary I like it. Sometimes I post only to create awareness of such things nia. :)

It's Talkr. Talkr.com :)

Ah. I must go to see what's it's all abut.

I personally think with a bit more improvement, this Talkr thing could help the blind read (without spending moo-lah to help them to read).

laughingcow and Brennan: hmm but the visually impared will not be even able to see the link to listen to the post anyway what! Haha... of course if there is a person helping out nearby, it helps. Ya, the program does serve its purposes, i guess. :P

Beng: oh yeah! I agree. but I dun have ipod... can't download the file onto the ipod to listen...

Lancerlord: okok, paisei I maligned you! haha... seriously I know you posted those stuff just for awareness...which is good. But personally, I just don't like that program.

SB: Yeah, go ahead.

Bren: yeah... They just need to fix certain words... otherwise its a rather accurate reading programme.

Bunny: Yes yes... I remember in your post you said you finished the Harry Potter book in like 4 hours!!! Holy Marcaroni!

actually...the visually impaired can surf the Internet too, they use some devices specially designed to navigate the "bumps" on a webpage. that's why it's so important to design for the disabled and not just for the able-bodied. so this Talkr thingy might actually be quite useful for those guys.

Whiteout: Heh. I haven't exactly tried it out on a post filled with Singlish. If you want to just go to Miyagi's blog, there'll plenty of such posts. Laughingcow said that its really funny to listen to the bot read out singlish. Lol.

BoY: oh... i see! Actually when I wrote the post, I didn't actually think about the visually impaired.....

Post a Comment

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates