« Home | Which Singaporean Blogger Are You? » | An Excerpt: Alexander Pope, Eloisa to Abelard » | &*#$ off you DAMN prick! » | My Life's in Good Hands » | Blogging Nausea » | TV is stale » | Queen of Comedy » | fresh off the dashboard... » | How it is to lose » | Heroes » 

Saturday, June 18, 2005 

Touched

Two nurses wheel my out on the dingy little hospital bed, I decked out in a flimsy piece of cloth they call the operating gown. I stare up onto the ceiling. The white tiles file past my eyes as the bed is manoeuvred adeptly by the nurses from room to room. My mind whizzes. A torrent of contemplative thoughts swirl around my head.

"...And by HIs stripes we are healed." Isa 53:5

He will see me through.

***

I whiz past a series of automatic doors, finally settling down in an air-conditioned room. There a doctor comes to talk to me, and I faintly mutter 'fine' to his rhetorical 'how are you doing today?' question. The air-con was blasting strongly and I was shivering, what with me being in my skimpy operating gown. The temperature was so cold in the room it would be the ideal dwelling place for Mr Freeze. So, when the doctor finally injects me and hooks me up on the drip, I was already too numb to feel a thing.

Some restlessness ensues when I was waiting impatiently for the doctors. About 15 mins later, they wheel me into the operating theatre. I see lots of hi-tech, state of the art machines, the stuff you see on shows like ER, but when I was there, it seemed more like equipment from a Star Wars spaceship.

Then, the doctor injects me with something, as he mutters reassuringly into my ears: 'you'll be asleep in no time."

***about 2 hours later***

I opened my eyes, still rather sedated. The first thing I remembered when I partially regained consciousness was the doctor coming up to me and saying, the operation went very well, congratulations. I didn't really see him, I only managed to partially open my eyes, since as I mentioned, I was still rather sedated.

***2 and a half days later***

I'm back.

Yes, I've been discharged from the hospital and I'm now recuperating at home. The operation was a success, as I believed it would, thank God. My nose's still running like a tap, with the lethally disgusting combination of blood and mucus leaking out of my nose incessantly. Quite a chore to pick up the tissue paper every few minutes and having a wipe. Worse still, I can't blow my nose too hard or the wound would open and that would spell trouble... the consequences would be inconceivable. I think in that case I would probably pass out from excessive bleeding.

These 2 days, I've been rather passive all day, which is to be expected from someone who just completed an operation. Staying at home and catching movies on DVD, from Hitch to Closer, as well as some television programmes. I feel helpless and useless in my handicapped state, but nevertheless, too thankful that I'm still standing here, every part of me still intact.

Speaking of gratitude, this is really the main point of my post.

I have to thank every single one of you who wished me well, offerred me support, and said prayers for me. Extra cheers to those of you who took the extra trouble to come down to visit me.

Eunice and Natalie.. Thanks for being the first friends to come and visit me. You guys are so great, cracking me up and making me laugh despite the fact that I was in pain. Nat, thanks for staying at home the entire day to make the wonderful card for me. And Eunice, despite the fact that I looked like crap with a blood stained gauze plastered to the bottom of my nose, you nonchalantly shook it off, making me feel more comfortable.

Me: Are you girls grossed out by all this blood ?

Eunice: No la, come on, we see blood every month also lo. Used to it already.

Me: *laughs like an asthsmatic Darth Vader*

Now that was a good one.

***

Sharon, Shelia and Alvin. Thanks for visiting me though, and staying with me at the hospital to watch Jue Dui Superstar. though I disagree that i look like that blind guy. I look better than him! Grrr. It was really nice of you to buy the Teenage magazine for me, but should I point out, I've outgrown that juvenile crap. :P Thanks for just being there at the hospital bed, by my side, showing your presence. It made me feel so much better.

To all the other well-wishers, the members of E104 like Dale, Jingfa, Lynn - and others like Jieyong, Jasmine, as well as my akachi-s, xiuzhi, Jiajin: thank you from the deepest recesses of my heart for the effort to just type out that messge. Simple, but beautiful and important. :D

Goodness, even my twin brother called when he was having his nights out to ask about me. We've always been close, but I didn't expect such a gesture from him. I thought he would have just taken for granted the fact that I'd be fine. That was really nice of him.

Mom, Dad, you guys are just the best! And mom, thanks for being at my side all the time, buying all the drinks for me, feeding me with porridge, ah-por cooked and just showing me so much concern!

God, for the successful op, and the great people you've sent into my life.

Back to blogging, tv, and chatting as promised. :P

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates