« Home | Meme or youyou? » | White-Wash » | Same old crap on the newspapers » | Blogi-der » | A New Beginning » | A New Beginning » | A School of Rock is much needed » | Blogosphere and The Real Life » | The Gentang* (Part 1) » | Yeah Baby! » 

Friday, July 22, 2005 

The Queer and The Querulous

My sister sms-ed me the other day whether I would want the DVDs to any TV series like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, because she was overseas and could get the fake copies for a really cheap price, like 1+ singapore dollar for a DVD. Now, is that a bargain or what?

Naturally for a guy who obsesses over those two shows, spent tons of money renting 2 seasons of the respective shows each, and spent 140 dollars buying the DVD of thecomplete season 3 of Angel, I was pleasantly surprised. My sis also asked me whether I would like other series like Law and Order, CSI, etc.

I think at that moment in time I almost had a mental orgasm. I was higher than a junkie on E, I tell ya.

And so my sis came back with her loot: season 1 and 2 of Nip/Tuck, season 6 of Buffy(which I watched on TV and loved), season 1 of Desperate Housewives and CSI, Season 1 of The Monk, and lastly season 1 of Queer as Folk.

Now, when my sister actually asked me whether I wanted the TV Series Queer as Folk, my answer was a resounding YES!. At that point in time I didn't really know what that show was all about, though I had an inkling as to the inclination of the show, which could be surmised from the connotations/nuances of the word "queer".

Yesterday, I just got about to watching it. I could clearly remember the feelings and thoughts I had throughout the show. It went something from uneasiness to shock to disgust to awe and back to disgust. Basically for the rest of the 2 hour pilot episode, my primary emotions were oscillating between heartfelt sympathy and absolute disgust. After 5 minutes, I was already contemplating shutting off my DVD player. After 10 minutes, I was thinking whether or not to watch the rest of the episodes, even though it'd be a waste not to since my sister bought it.

So here's what that show's all about: Gays. And by that I mean homosexual men and lesbian women. It's basically all very whacked up. This affable and likeable guy, who turns out to be gay, is introduced to us as the protaganist. He's not obviously gay, and he remained in the closet while at work. He has 2 best friends, also gay ( duh) and he has this boyfriend/significant other in his life.

Here's where it gets shitty. The protaganist, Michael, and his boyfriend, Brian, wants to be more important in each other's life, but Brian indulges in flagrant infidelity and has many quickies and flings. And Michael is annoyed, but not consumed with rage. I mean seriously, if you significant other is screwing someone else(or many others for that matter), all you can muster up is just annoyance towards the other person? What about rage and contempt for your Significant other? Weird.

I think I just don't understand and empathise with gays at all. Really, their lifestyle is really confusing and... weird. I don't mean to be all judgmental here, but seriously, I find it a the whole business of kissing someone your own gender VERY icky. And I can't imagine them breaking the hearts of their parents should their parents find out their true sexual orientation. And I should say many ( but of course not all) homosexuals lead a very, very licentious, hedonistic lifestyle (as gleaned from the portrayals of homosexuals on television, though those could be crap stereotypes).

Not to say they should be condemned as a whole. I mean I sympathize with them on the fact that they couldn't help being born with some genetic defect. But I still feel gays tend to blame nature/fate too much when it comes to their tragic lives (or so they always claim it to be). I mean, I believe homosexuality is more a nurture than a nature thing. Genes/DNA/hormonal imbalances or whatever biological reasons may partially be responsible for the makings of a homosexual, but I believe what's a bigger factor is the influences around you. Whether you had a strong male influence in your life since young (esp for the guys), whether you had ever been sexually abused before, and the company you mix with. I believe genes and DNA account for more of your personality, not your sexual inclination. But maybe that's just me being a prude.

Either way, I'll get back to my thoughts on the show. In one very disturbing guy-guy soft-core sex scene, this guy was on top of the other guy, and you could see their butts in their naked glory. Goodness during that scene I almost gagged. But guess what, one of the guys acting in that scene is perfectly straight! Good ol' heterosexual guy! (of course that means the other actor is a homosexual, duh) And one thing I feel about that straight guy is that he must be one helluva daring experimentor. Being a straight guy AND doing a stimulated guy-guy sex scene on television takes a lot of damn guts, because you could be unfairly labelled a gay for the rest of your life, which most straight guys would perceive as a huge insult. But this guy did. And to me, that is an actor in its finest, someone brave, someone daring, someone willing to experiment and immerse himself into the character he's playing.

I was reading an interview just now with the actor who plays the main protaganist ,who doesn't get any actual simulated sex scene but only guy-guy kissing scenes, and he's straight as can be. In fact, he compared kissing a guy to kissing a dog, though he got flak for that comment. But no matter how great an actor you are, I believe when it comes to kissing someone your own gender, there'll definitely be a strong "ICK" factor there, no matter how professional you are. I give these guys props, for being straight guys acting in a show filled with gays, to give awareness to the world about an alternative culture and lifestyle, to help bring more understanding and empathy towards people who are different from us, and to eradicate xenophobia once and for all.

I'm disagree with homosexuality; but that is no reason to hate homosexuals. By showing a little bit of tolerance and love towards them, perhaps we can seek to reconcile our differences in a far more effective way.

And I've decided to carry on watching the rest of the series. (away from the prying eyes of my parents, of course)

P.S. I think my blog is sufferring from an estrogen overload. The comments for my last posts came purely from females! Anna, Lyn, lynne, Almonds, Laughingcow, I love you all, but can I please add that I want more male comments on my blog PLEASE! B.o.Y, Julian, Beng, are you guys listening?!!

Dang it, I knew I should have stuck to a black background for my blog.

P.P.S: I'll probably be doing a continuation to this post sometime soon.

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates