« Home | Get to know me better! » | Life sucks when » | Links that get me all excitable » | How I react to hate. » | The Paradox that is Blogging. » | The Return of Disjointed Posts and A Stunning Reve... » | Funny Conversations I hear on the Bus » | Fatboy Slim makes for Great Saturday Late night li... » | One- Nil » | BAD BLOGGER NAMES! » 

Sunday, September 18, 2005 

The One About My Movie Experience

A couple of days ago, I just watched 'Be With Me'. Mch has been said about the show, critics have raved (and occasionally ranted) about the beauty and subtle magnetism of the show, and the good folks at the Cannes Film Festval has been kissing the production crew's collective butts, giving the crew a 6 minute long standing ovation.

Although I thought the film had its disappointing portions (especially regarding the narrative aspect towards the middle of the film), I generally enjoyed it. Alot. Even the not-so-qualified film critic in me was placated and subdued while I was viewing the show. I decided to let loose on my hard-up attitude and did my darnest to reduce my efforts in dissecting and analysing the fim.

You know you've genuinely enjoyed a movie when long after the movie has ended and the sudden sheen of black appears, you are still glued to your seat, jaw dropped towards the ground, still marvelling in awe about a fine piece of art. Even the credits seemed beautiful, and while I was still blankly staring at the credits rolling out on the screen, the sweet aftertaste of positivity in the film was still lingering.

On another note, when I was the M18 rating that came along with the movie. I was mentally preparing myself for some explicit (but tasteful) sex scenes btetween the 2 female lovers. In fact, the movie, besides it tackling the still taboo (at least in Singapore) topic of homosexuality, did nothing to deserve its rating. It has dark and depressive overtones, no doubt; but really it is also essentially about hope, faith, fate and love. I was initially perplexed as to why it got the rating -- perhaps the censors were too harsh and failed to exercise better judgment?

But it later dawned on me tha there was some good that came out of the M18 rating. When I was in the cinema, squealy schoolgirls were giggling incessantly throughout the movie, especially the parts when Theresa Chan (the female protaganist and silent narrator) was speaking. The people are seriously just short on empathy. Is it really such a Herculean task to show some respect for such a remarkable aldy by sitting in appreciative silence throughout the film?

Theresa Chan's life account is an inspiring testimony about the beauty of life. It is definitely not a silly, comical tale to tickle one's laughing buds.

Unless you're some sadistic freak or Schadenfreudan whacko who don't quite have a life, I don't see how one can derive joy from seeing a deaf and blind lady struggling to speak coherently.

Some people, I swear, are just devoid of a heart. These are teh people who are absolutely impervious to th effects of our nation's Courtesy Campaigns and would never fork out a dollar for some charity fund for the handicapped.

Which leads me to my next point.

How I wish tha the censors would raise the bar and push the rating up to a R21. Seriously, I would rather fewer people watch this wonderful work of art than to desecrate its beauty with their childish mocking laughter.

They say that guys mature a lot later than girls. But from my personal experience in the cinema, I can safely conclude that theory is absolutely erroneous, since all the annoying giggles were from females.

Having said that, guys PLEASE do watch the show. Support local talent! While there are some flaws in the film, or certain narrative aspects that rubs off against you, it was still an extremely poignant, powerful piece on hope and love and fate. Hopefully, it'll reinstill you jaded 21st century types with a zest for life once again.


****

BTW, it MY DAILY BREAD'S 1st Year Anniversary!!!
Blows birthday cake

A special thanks to Marilyn for helping me start this blog, as well as my earliest readers Nilsinelabore (whose blog is now defunct), Dr Fletcher, ms.beautifuk, as well as the other nice blogger friends... Ball Of Yarn, Lynne, Hungry Bunny, Little Dowager, Laughingcow, Zenith etc.... and the other anonymous non-blogger readers too! thanks for reading my blog. :D

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates