« Home | overprotective over muah chee » | love, degraded. » | I so pathetic socially. » | we interrupt your life... » | Please excuse me as... » | of death and blogicides » | charity, anyone? part II » | the art of forgiveness » | Leave it Behind. » | new year resolutions » 

Saturday, January 22, 2005 

Don't you ever wonder...

Today, I went to Taufik's thank you party held at Singapore Poly. Swatch, whom Taufik is an ambassador of, is a close partner of DFS (Duty Free Shop), where my sister works as a project coordinator, and Swatch gave 2 VIP passes to DFS. My sister asked me whether I would want it and naturally, being the huge Taufik fan that I am, I lapped up the chance to see him up close and personal and told her to grab the VIP passes. ( sorry I'm still going ga-ga over those passes... darn. I have a sad life. haha)

I thought this would be a great opportunity to bring my friends who are Taufik fans along, so that we could have a good catching-up session too. Turns out all of them had some sort of appointments/duties/studies/commitments going on, so I had to scroll along my rather miserable list of friends in my handphone name list ( many names there... but most of there are just mere acquaintances, either that or they're not interested in Taufik's music at all) and finally found a friend to go with me to Taufik's Thank You Party.

I took a $10 cab down to Dover MRT station as I was running late. So out goes New Year's Resolution #1, which is to cut down on my cab fare and start being more thrifty. Digressing a little, I find that my extravagant nature when it comes to spending money is hard to suppress! Oh, and I found out my bro has almost 8000 dollars in his bank account while I have a meagre 2000. Mi gosh, if my mom finds out about that, I'm SOOOO dead. Back to the point, I just hate it when I take a taxi down to a place to meet a friend, that person can actually be later than me in arriving. Makes you wonder why in the world you took the effort to take a cab down in the first place right? It's such a pet peeve of mine. So my friend was late by about 25 minutes because of some silly things that happened along the way. I'm too nice to even get angry!
Well, it's a good friend, so I guess I can take it in my stride.

The Thank You party was great, but I felt something amiss. I felt that the atmosphere was just lacking a little...something. It's not that there were many unfilled seats. It's just that there was a little lack of excitement. Perhaps Idol fever has finally waned. ( or perhaps there's a sudden resurgence again because of the return of American Idol, with far far better contestants than Singapore Idol) Don't you ever wonder how some things can change in such a short time? I remember such strong emotions when Taufik won the competition. I was a huge fanatic. I shouted, cheered like a madman and even hugged my friends when he won. I voted 10 times for him on the finals, and a few times for him during the round before. But today as he appeared, though I was glad to see him really really close and personal, I just felt it so awkward, that those swirl of emotions I experienced when he won the Idol crown did not surface. I was just getting a little jaded I guess. My friend who's a Mass Comm student was just telling me that she has interviewed so many celebrities that meeting celebrities has lost its appeal to her. Unless maybe it's some huge Hollywood star, but regional stars will never bring out the squeally school girl in her anymore.

Maybe that's why Hollywood celebrities are so jaded? Before they were just nobodies, and overnight they became acting sensations. People who are larger than life, with all their time spent in flashes of light. People who have all the money in the world, with the most beautiful material possession one can only dream of, with tons of showbiz friends, hordes of obsessed fans, and with the ability to bed anyone they want. All the things that used to excite them or pique their interest before have now lost its appeal, its shine. For the normal layman, getting a car ( not even a really good one) is such an occasion worthy of celebration. Yet, for Hollywood celebrities, this is just another one of the purchasing routines. Watch MTV Cribs and you’ll realize how many kazillion cars these stars own.

People need to be excited over other stuff. They need to feel passionate and excited over a cause! A special cause!

I’m so blessed because in my walk with God, everyday is an adventure.

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates