« Home | Lazy » | Your mother is so fat, that when she jumps, she wi... » | madly, truly, deeply » | I'm a Geek and Proud Of It » | Do You Have a Long Middle Leg? » | To forgive is to Forget. » | Why I Sometimes Prefer to just Shut Up » | Because Escape is Not an Option » | Audio Blog? » | "Piracy is not killing music- stupidity is!" » 

Thursday, November 24, 2005 

It's Weird...

When you take a break from blogging because you're exhausted, and swear off blogging-related activities for a while, all of a sudden you feel this obsessive, compulsive need pen down all the unusual sights you encounter and vague thoughts doggedly intruding upon your mind.

I guess this world's a little too crazy to me - it's impossible for me to keep my silence for long.

I didn't quite accomplish the tasks I set out to do in the previous week - who was I kidding anyway? I was simply being overly ambitious wanting to do so many things in such a short span of time. I did catch up a little bit on my book, but besides that, this little sabbatical of mine wasn't exactly what I'd call constructive. then again, breaks are meant for resting and recovery, not pushing yourself to get things done right?

Yet, I've managed to recollect many thoughts and I'll subsequently try to elucidate them in some coherent manner on this blog. the biggest thought I had was, why wasn't I blogging about my friends, my church mates and my faith enough?

Because no one would want to read about them. The internal conflict has been oppressing me for weeks. Revert back to bona fide Moronic style and rant about the world non stop or start to become more personal on my blog.

Later I realized: heck it. I'm not particularly famous a blogger, I wouldn't lose many readers (not that i have many to begin with) by adopting a more personal approach on my blog.

I realized the primary reason why Christians don't retaliate when the Christian mockers (and let's face it, there're plenty of them) comes up with derogatory comments of posts to mock the faith.

I believe it's not because we're scared to stand up for our faith. Au contrairie, I believe it's because we're strong. Strong enough to withstand the insults and slanders and sit back smug, knowing that we're not gonna be the ones losing in the end. Knowing that starting some great intellectual debate on existence of God is really rather a waste of time; we'll never be able to convince the great intellectuals because the debate will essential end in a stalement.

When you believe in God as much as some militant Atheists disbelieve in Him, you'll probably smug and secure enough not to go around imposing your faith unto other people. even more unlikely is the petty need to retaliate and get into bitter diatribes over God and faith and religion etc.

So yeah, I'm sitting back on my chair, smug as ever.

different views i guess. i am someone who believes in the "you're entitled to your own views" thing. like, i'll accept that the atheist doesn't believe in God, but once he starts flaming my views, i will rebut it (in a gentler way, i hope) with everything i know, cos my views were not respected.

and yes christian blogs don't get that much attention, not really so in singapore. we all know that.

It is my experience that militant atheism is always a response to religious fundamentalism.

Generally, militant atheists only target the fundies. We may not agree with moderate Christians, but we do not actively seek to put them down or flame them

Instead of just lamenting how anti-Christian people are, isn't it more contructive to wonder why? People are generally not silly enough to just take a religion and bitch about it.

As what agagooga said above. The problem is not between Christians and non-Christians, it's between fundies and everyone else.

When you have people like Andrew Loke who wants religious ideas to be screened as fact on national TV instead of scientific evolution, you know there is a threat to our multi-racial, multi-religious society.

http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2005/yax-513.htm

At least many Muslims have the sense to speak out against their own extremists, not just put their behaviour down to being "passionate for God" or something.

It is always the responsibility of the religion to rein in its own fundies, not allow them to take religion out of the church. Keep your own house in check, and no one will need to interfere.

Cheers.

lyn: yes... that's the right attitude we should adopt.

agagooga: actually, there are still some bloggers who mercilessly mock Christians (not just God) on their blogs too, regardless of whether they're fundies or not. Thankfully they're in the minority.

dr.fletcher: haha it's been a while since you visited! Yes, I think some overly religious and anal Christian as well as over-zealous fundies are the reason why the moderate majority are being so widely condemned.

Well, people are always wont to mock those who they believe to be grievously in error and believing of absurdities.

A flat-earther would be mocked by most of humanity.

Post a Comment

About The Blog

Listed!

  • globe_blogs
  • Blogwise - blog directory
  • Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates